Cucumber Tomato Soup
|2 large shallots, minced|
|2 large cloves garlic, minced|
|1 large onion, minced|
|2 large scallions, minced|
|2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tbs wine vinegar|
|2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (3 cups)|
|2 medium tomatoes, peeled, cored seeded and coarsely chopped.|
|1/3 cup loosely packed basil leaves|
|1/2 tsp dried savory leaves|
|6 dashes of cayenne pepper|
|3 sprigs fresh parsley|
|2 and 1/2 cups chicken stock (you may use vegetable stock if desired)|
|1/3 cup apple juice.|
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a measuring cup.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add the mixed ingredients and saute using medium heat until onions are clear. About 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cucumbers and the balance of the ingredients. Bring up to simmering and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool then add to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- You may serve the soup hot or cold.
- If desired you may whisk in 3 tbs of plain yogurt before serving.