New Orleans Italian Olive Salad
- 1 and 1/2 cups of pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup pitted calamata olives
- 1 cup gardiniera (pickled cauliflower, carrots, celery and Pepperoncini)
- 1 tbs capers
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed and sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tbs parsley, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 tbs scallions, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
This salad is used traditionally on the Muffuletta sandwich which is made on a large round loaf of Italian bread dressed with olive salad on both sides along with capacola, mortadella, Genoa Salami, mozzarella and provolone cheese. The sandwich is then pressed down with weight to allow the flavors to meld.
- Chop the olives and gardiniera roughly.
- Add to a large bowl and add all other ingredients.Mix well.
- Cover bowl and let marinate in the refrigerator for several days up to a week.
- Use as a condiment.