Orange Meringue Pie
|1 (9 inch) pie crust, fresh or frozen|
|1/4 cup flour|
|3/4 cup sugar|
|1/2 cup water|
|2 tsps grated orange zest|
|1 cup orange juice|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 egg yolks, beaten|
|3 large egg whites at room temperature|
|1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1/4 tsp cream of tartar|
|6 tbs superfine sugar|
- Prepare and pre-baked pie shell and cool completely. ( Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the top a a double boiler set over simmering water, combine the the flour, sugar, and water.
- Add the orange zest, orange juice, and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter.
- Stir in a small amount of orange mixture into the egg yolks.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture with the mixture in the top of the double boiler. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Turn the filling into the pie shell.
- While filling is still hot, prepare the meringue.
- Beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until the mixture forms still peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, beating until very stiff and glossy.
- All the sugar must be dissolved.
- Spread the meringue over the hot filling, sealing it to the edge of the crust.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.