Savory Chicken Spread with Chickpeas
|1/2 cup dried chick peas (you may use canned drained and rinsed)|
|2 cups water|
|1 and 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken breast|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|3 shallots, minced|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, minced|
|1/2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1/2 tsp chili powder|
|4 dashes of cayenne pepper|
|2 tbs tomato juice|
|2 tbs mayonnaise|
This spread works well on crackers, crusty bread or on sandwiches.
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water to cover. Drain and place in a small heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered until tender. About 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
- Drain and add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add all other ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Alternatively you may use rinsed canned chickpeas.