Savory Chicken Spread with Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup dried chick peas (you may use canned drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 4 dashes of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs tomato juice
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
This spread works well on crackers, crusty bread or on sandwiches.
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water to cover. Drain and place in a small heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered until tender. About 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
- Drain and add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add all other ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Alternatively you may use rinsed canned chickpeas.