Savory Stuffed Mushrooms
|1 cup bulgar wheat|
|3/4 cup water|
|12 large button mushrooms|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1 leek, white part only, cleaned and minced|
|2 cloves garlic minced|
|1/2 tsp dried sage leaves|
|1/2 tsp chili powder|
|3 dashes ground red pepper|
|2 tsp dry sherry|
|1 and 1/2 tbs fresh mint|
|3 tsp fresh parsley, minced|
|1 tbs roasted red peppers, drained and minced|
- Soak the bulgar wheat in water for 30 minutes. Then bring to a boil and slow boil for 8 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Gently separate the stems from mushroom caps. Mince stems, Set caps aside.
- Heat 1 and 1/2 tsp oil in a non stick skillet until hot.
- Saute minced stems, leeks and garlic over medium high heat until lightly browned.
- Add the bulgar and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle mixture with sage, chili powder, red pepper and sherry and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 tbs of mint, parsley and roasted red pepper. Blending well.
- Wipe out skillet.
- Heat the balance of oil in the skilled until hot.
- Saute mushroom caps on both sides for 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to a baking dish (top side down) and fill with the bulgar mixture.
- Sprinkle with the balance of the mint.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until caps a re heated through.