|Skinned neck and trimmed gizzard from the turkey|
|3 cups water|
|1 rib celery, chopped|
|2 fresh mushrooms, washed trimmed and sliced|
|1 small onion, sliced|
|1 small leek, white part plus 3 inches green part, trimmed and sliced|
|1 small carrot peeled and sliced|
|2 large cloves garlic, moinced|
|3 sprigs fresh parsley|
|2 tbs fresh mint, minced|
|2 tbs cornstarch dissolved in cold water|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Prepare the stock for the gravy the day ahead.
- Place the neck and gizzards in a large sauce pan and cover with water.
- Bring almost to a boil, then reduce heat. Remove any scum that rises to the top.
- Add all other ingredients except for the mint and cornstarch mixture. Bring almost to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Do not boil. Simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours. Let cool in pot.
- Remove meat from neck and set aside. Let cool covered in the refrigerator.
- Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth.
- Refrigerate overnight. The next day discard any hardened fat that rises to the top.
- To make gravy pour balance of de-fatted stock into a sauce pan with any pan juices from the turkey.
- Add mint and bring almost to a boil and reduce to 3/4 cup. Add the reserved meat from the neck.
- Dribble the corn starch mixture slowly into the gravy only using enough to slightly thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a sauce boat.