Cornmeal Crusted Chilies
|2 (11oz) jars of pickled Jalapeno peppers|
|1/2 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese, grated|
|8 oz cream cheese, softened|
|2/3 cup ap flour|
|4 eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 and 1/4 cups cornmeal|
|1 and 1/4 cups dry bread crumbs|
|oil for deep frying|
|Sour cream for serving|
- Select 24 chilies uniform in size. Drain and dry with paper towels.
- Cut a slit down the length of one side of each chilie. Remove the seeds and membrane.Combine the jack and cream cheese and spoon some into each chilie.
- Put the flour on a large plate and the beaten eggs in a small bowl.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and cornmeal on a flat dish.
- Roll each chili in the flour, shake off excess, dip in the egg, roll in the crumb mixture to coat thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Re-dip in egg and roll in the bread crumbs. Refrigerate for another hour.
- Fill a deep heavy sauce pan or deep fryer, 1/3 full of oil and heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Deep fry the chilies in small batches until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with sour cream.