Indian Herb Pankoras
- 1 and 1/2 cups besan flour (available at Asian specialty stores)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 2 oz cauliflower florets, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- kosher salt
- oil for deep frying
- plain yogurt and or mango chutney for serving
This is a classic vegetarian Indian appetizer.
- Sift the flour, turmeric, chili powder, garam masals and 2 tsp of salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well and gradually add 1/2 cup water, whisking to make a stiff lump free batter. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Beat the mixture again and stir in the vegetables, herbs and garlic.
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop heaped tsp’s of the mixture in the oil and fry in batches until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with yogurt and chutney.