Indian Herb Pankoras
|1 and 1/2 cups besan flour (available at Asian specialty stores)|
|1 tsp ground turmeric|
|1/2 tsp chili powder|
|1 and 1/2 tsp garam masala|
|1 zucchini, diced|
|1 small sweet potato, diced|
|2 oz cauliflower florets, chopped|
|1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed|
|1 small onion, diced|
|2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|2 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|oil for deep frying|
|plain yogurt and or mango chutney for serving|
This is a classic vegetarian Indian appetizer.
- Sift the flour, turmeric, chili powder, garam masals and 2 tsp of salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well and gradually add 1/2 cup water, whisking to make a stiff lump free batter. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Beat the mixture again and stir in the vegetables, herbs and garlic.
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop heaped tsp’s of the mixture in the oil and fry in batches until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with yogurt and chutney.