Indian Vegetable Samosas
|1 and 3/4 oz butter|
|2 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|2 tsp cumin seeds|
|1 tsp Madras curry powder|
|1/2 tsp garam masala|
|1 lb waxy potatoes, finely diced|
|1 oz golden raisins|
|1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed|
|1/2 cup cilantro, chopped|
|3 scallions, chopped|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|oil for deep frying|
|plain yogurt for serving|
|3 and 3/4 cups flour, sifted|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|3 and 1/2 oz butter, melted|
|1/2 cup thick plain yogurt|
- Heat the butter in a large non stick frying pan, add the ginger, cumin seeds, curry powder and garam masala and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add potato and 3 tbs of water and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potato is tender.
- Add the raisins, peas, cilantro and scallions then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- To make the samosa pastry, sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Make samosa pastry, sift the flour, baking powder and 1 and 1/2 tsp salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add the butter, yogurt and 3/4 cup of water.
- Using a flat bladed knife bring the dough together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together to form a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into four to make it easier to work with.
- Roll one piece at a time very thin . Cover dough until ready to cut.
- Note; do not overwork dough as it will become tough.
- Using a 5 inch diameter cutter or bowl, cut out six circles in each piece of dough.
- Place a generous tbs of the potato filling in the center of each circle, brush the edges with egg wash fold over and form a semi circle. Continue with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees. Fry the samosas 2 or three at a time until golden. You may have to turn them with a slotted spoon to insure that they cook evenly.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with yogurt dipping sauce or chili garlic sauce.