Italian Sausage and Bean Soup
- 1 pound bag of bean soup mix
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup onions, diced
- 2/3 cup celery, diced
- 1 tbs garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tbs shallots, minced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp dry oregano
This is a hearty soup that makes a full meal.
- Soak bean mix overnight covered in water.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Cut the sausage into 1 inch pieces and add to the hot oil. Brown all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, celery and carrots and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, shallots, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper, stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the red wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, Tabasco and cook until the liquid has reduced by 1/3.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato puree and drained beans. Cook at a low boil for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes until beans are tender.