Cheese Garlic and Herb Pate
|1 tbs butter|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|3 scallions, finely chopped|
|3/4 cup soft cheese (soft cheese of your choice) Cream cheese works well|
|2 tbs of mixed herbs (parsley, chives, oregano, basil)|
|1 and 3/4 cups sharp Colby cheese, grated|
|pepper to taste|
|4-6 slices of white bread, crusts removed.|
|mixed salad greens and cherry tomatoes to serve|
|ground paprika and fresh herb sprigs for garnish|
- Melt the butter in a small saute pan and gently cook the garlic and scallions for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Let cool.
- Beat the soft cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth, then add the garlic and scallions. Stir in the herbs and mix well.
- Add the Colby cheese and work the mixture together to form a stiff paste. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To make the Melba toast, toast the slices of bread on both sides, then cut off the crusts.
- Cut through the slices horizontally to make very thin slices.
- Cut into triangles and then lightly broil the un toasted sides until golden.
- Arrange the mixed salad greens on 4 serving plates, with the cherry tomatoes.
- Place the cheese pate on top and sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh herbs and serve with the Melba toast.