Indian Puris with Cilantro Relish
|3/4 cup flour|
|3/4 cup whole wheat flour|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs cracked black pepper|
|3 tbs oil or ghee|
|1 tsp Nigella seeds (available at Indian grocery's)|
|oil for deep frying|
|1 small bunch of fresh cilantro leaves|
|1 small bunch mint leaves|
|1/2 small onion|
|1 green chili|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
- Sift the flours and salt and pepper into a large bowl.
- Add the oil or ghee and rub into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the Nigella seeds.
- Make a well and add 3-4 tbs hot water and mix well. It should be rough but hold together. Form a ball.
- Divide the dough into 4 and then each portion into 8 pieces, making 32 altogether.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece at a time into a 2 and 1/2 inch round. Keep the rest covered with a damp cloth.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large frying pan to 350 degrees.
- Fry 3-4 puris at a time, turning them halfway through. They will only take a few seconds to turn golden on each side.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- For the cilantro relish, process all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Serve with puris.