Indian Vegetarian Tempura
|1 and 1/3 cups of Besan flour (chickpea flour)|
|2 and 1/2 oz rice flour|
|2 tsp ground turmeric|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|1/4 tsp Nigella seeds|
|1 (10 oz) egg plant|
|10 oz pumpkin|
|2 small onions|
|15 baby spinach leaves|
|oil for deep frying|
|Besan flour for dusting|
|hot and sweet chili sauce for serving|
- Sift the flours, turmeric, chili powder and 1 tsp of salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and gradually add 1 cup of water, whisking to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Stir in the Nigella seeds, cover and leave for 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes and pumpkin into batons about 3 inches long.
- Cut the eggplant into thin slices and each slice into 4 pieces.
- Cut the onions into quarters and separate each section into individual pieces.
- Wash and dry the baby spinach leaves.
- Check the consistency of the batter. It should be like cream, so if it is too thick add a little water..
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Dip batches of the vegetables into the Besan flour, remove excess, then dip into the batter. Let excess batter drip off and add vegetables to the hot oil in batches. Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with hot and sweet chili sauce.