Mussels with Crispy Prosciutto and Cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 thin slices, prosciutto, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 lbs mussels
- 2 oz grated Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 oz grated cheddar, grated
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and add the onion, prosciutto and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the prosciutto is crispy and the onion is softened. Set aside.
- Scrub the mussels with a stiff brush and pull out the beards.
- Discard any broken mussels, or open ones that don’t close when tapped on the bench.
- Add to a large pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and discard any mussels than don’t open.
- Remove the mussels from their shells, keeping half of each shell.
- Place 2 mussels on each half shell and top with a little of the prosciutto mixture.
- Combine the Parmesan and Cheddar and sprinkle over the prosciutto.
- Cook under a preheated broiler until the cheese has melted and the mussels are warmed through.