No Mayonnaise Vegetable Relish
- 4 large onions, peeled
- 1 medium cabbage
- 10 green tomatoes, cored
- 12 green peppers cored
- 6 red peppers, cored
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 tbs celery seed
- 2 tbs mustard seed
- 4 cups cider vinegar
This relish is chocked full of vegetables, seasoned with a spicy mix of salt, sugar, turmeric celery seed and mustard seed.
- Chop the onions, tomato and peppers into bite sized pieces and add to a food processor. Pulse several times, but do not process until smooth. You should have about 1/4 inch pieces.
- Core and cut the cabbage into about 8 pieces and add the the food processor. Pulse a few more times until still slightly chunky.
- Add the vegetables to a covered bowl and add the kosher salt and let sit overnight.
- The next day rinse and drain the vegetables thoroughly.
- Add the vegetables to a large sauce pan and add the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and reduce to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
- Recipe may be halved.