No Mayonnaise Vegetable Relish
|4 large onions, peeled|
|1 medium cabbage|
|10 green tomatoes, cored|
|12 green peppers cored|
|6 red peppers, cored|
|3/4 cup kosher salt|
|2 tsp turmeric|
|2 cups water|
|6 cups sugar|
|1 tbs celery seed|
|2 tbs mustard seed|
|4 cups cider vinegar|
This relish is chocked full of vegetables, seasoned with a spicy mix of salt, sugar, turmeric celery seed and mustard seed.
- Chop the onions, tomato and peppers into bite sized pieces and add to a food processor. Pulse several times, but do not process until smooth. You should have about 1/4 inch pieces.
- Core and cut the cabbage into about 8 pieces and add the the food processor. Pulse a few more times until still slightly chunky.
- Add the vegetables to a covered bowl and add the kosher salt and let sit overnight.
- The next day rinse and drain the vegetables thoroughly.
- Add the vegetables to a large sauce pan and add the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and reduce to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
- Recipe may be halved.