Vegetarian Pumpkin Soup
|2 lbs pumpkin|
|3 tbs butter|
|1 onion thinly sliced|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|3 and 1/4 cups vegetable stock|
|1/2 tsp ground ginger|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|2-4 strips orange zest|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 and 1/4 cups milk|
|kosher and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|chopped chives for garnish|
|4-6 tbs heavy cream or plain yogurt for garnish|
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and then cut the flesh into 1 inch cubes.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy bottom pan.
- Add the sliced onion and crushed garlic and cook over low heat, until soft.
- Add the pumpkin and toss the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then add the ginger, lemon juice and orange zest.
- Add the bay leaves, cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Discard the orange zest and bay leaves.
- Cook the soup slightly, then press through a strainer or process in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour into a clean pan.
- Pour in the milk and reheat gently.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with swirl of cream or yogurt, then top with snipped chives.