|3 oz walnuts|
|1 tbs soft brown sugar|
|1 tsp ground cinnamon|
|3/4 oz melted butter|
|8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed|
|1 stick butter, melted|
|1 cup sugar|
|2 tbs honey|
|2 tsp orange juice|
|1/2 cup water|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush a foil covered baking sheet with melted butter.
- To make the filling, place the walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and butter in a small bowl and stir until well combined.
- Remove one sheet of phyllo and cover the rest to prevent drying out.
- Place a sheet of phyllo on a cutting board and brush with melted butter, then fold in half.
- Cut the sheet into three strips and place a heaped tsp of filling close to the front edge of the pastry.
- roll up, tucking in the edges.
- Place on the baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar, honey and 1/2 cup of water in a small pan.
- Stir over low heat, without boiling, until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly then pour over the baked baklava.