Broccoli Soup with Garlic Toast
|1 and 1/2 lbs broccoli florets|
|8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock|
|2 tbs fresh lemon juice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve|
|1/4 cup heavy cream|
|6 slices French bread|
|2 garlic cloves halved|
- Peel the broccoli stems, then chop the broccoli into small pieces.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped broccoli, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the soup to cool slightly, then transfer it in batches to a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth. Add the cream and puree again.
- Return the pureed soup to the pan then season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Allow to cool slightly.
- Just before serving the soup, gently reheat the soup to just below boiling.
- To make the toast, toast the bread then rub the with the cut side of the garlic.
- Serve the soup with the toasts and grated Parmesan.