Cajun Red Beans and Rice
|1 lb dry red beans|
|4 smoked ham hocks|
|1 large onion, minced|
|2 ribs celery, chopped|
|1 large green pepper, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|2 tbs of Cajun seasoning|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|2 tbs butter|
|2 tsp cracked black pepper|
|4 cups ham stock|
|4 cups chicken stock|
This is the authentic slow cook method for beans and rice.
- Cover the beans with water and let soak overnight.
- In a large stock pot add the ham hocks and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the ham hocks from the water and place on a baking sheet to cool. Reserve the ham stock When almost cool remove the meat and fat from the bone. Discard the fat and set the meat aside.
- In a stock pot using medium high heat add the butter along with the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add the beans and enough ham and chicken stock to cover. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the Cajun seasoning.
- Let beans simmer for 2 hours uncovered. As the liquid evaporates add more ham stock and chicken stock.
- After 2 hours add in the hock meat and cook for another hour or until the beans are very tender.
- Serve with rice.