Carrot and Fennel Soup
|4 tbs butter|
|1 small bunch scallions, chopped|
|1/2 large fennel bulb, chopped|
|1 rib of celery, chopped|
|1 lb of baby carrots, shredded|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1/4 lb of new potatoes, peeled and diced|
|5 cups chicken or vegetable stock|
|4 tbs heavy cream|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|chopped parsley for garnish|
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the scallions, fennel, celery, carrots and cumin.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the diced potatoes and stock and increase the heat to medium.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in the pan with a hand-held blender.
- Stir in the cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and garnish with parsley.