Chilled Shrimp and Cucumber Soup
|2 tbs butter|
|2 shallots, minced|
|2 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced|
|1 and 1/4 cups milk|
|1/2 lb peeled medium shrimp|
|1 tbs fresh mint, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh dill, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh chives, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh chervil, chopped|
|1 and 1/4 cups whipping cream|
|kosher salt and ground white pepper|
|4 large cooked shrimp, peeled with tails on for garnish|
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the garlic and shallots. Cook over a low heat stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
- Add the cucumber and cook, stirring gently until tender.
- Stir in the milk, bring almost to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the soup to a food processor and process until very smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- When cool, stir in the shrimp, chopped herbs and the whipping cream.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, ladle the soup into four individual bowls and top with creme fraiche or sour cream.
- Garnish with extra chives and dill and place a large shrimp over the edge of each bowl.