Chinese Shrimp Toasts
|1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1 egg white|
|2 scallions, chopped|
|1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped|
|1 garlic clove chopped|
|1 tsp cornstarch|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|3 dashes of chili garlic sauce or hot sauce|
|8 slices of firm white bread|
|4 tsp of sesame seeds|
|canola oil for frying|
- Wash and peel the shrimp and pat dry.
- Put the shrimp, egg white, scallions, ginger garlic, cornstarch, salt, sugar and chili garlic sauce in a food processor and process until the mixture forms a smooth paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Spread the shrimp paste evenly over the bread slices, then sprinkle over the sesame seeds, pressing gently to make them stick.
- Cut off the crusts and discard, then cut each slice of bread diagonally into four triangles.
- Cut each triangle in half again to make 64 triangles in total.
- Heat 2 inches of canola oil in a large saute pan or wok until the oil is hot but not smoking.
- Cook the triangles in batches for about 30-60 seconds, turning the toasts once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.