Clams with Chili Bean Paste
|2 and 1/2 lbs of little neck clams|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|4 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tbs ginger, grated|
|4 shallots, minced|
|2 tbs of chili bean paste (available in Asian markets)|
|6 fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped|
|1 tbs Thai fish sauce|
|pinch of sugar|
|Handful of fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish|
- Wash and scrub the clams.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the shallots and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- Add the clams to the pan and turn them a few times to coat all over with the oil.
- Stir in the chili bean paste and half of the chopped red chilies.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes, or until the clams are open. Discard any that remain shut.
- You may need to add a splash of water.
- Adjust the seasoning with the fish sauce and a little sugar.
- Add the basil leaves and stir to mix.
- Transfer the clams to individual bowls or on a serving platter.
- Garnish with the remaining chilies and basil leaves.