Mexican Corn Cakes with Avocado and Shrimp
|3/4 cup of frozen corn, thawed, roughly chopped|
|1 small can of chipolte chilies, roughly chopped|
|2 tsp of chipolte sauce|
|1/2 cup flour|
|1/3 cup cornmeal|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1/4 tsp baking soda|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|3/4 oz melted butter|
|32 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked|
|32 fresh cilantro leaves for garnish|
|1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped|
|2 tbs lime juice|
|1 chipolte pepper in sauce|
|1/2 cup cilantro leaves|
|1 clove garlic, chopped|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
- Add the chipolte peppers and corn to a food processor and pulse 3 to 4 times.
- Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and make a well.
- Whisk the buttermilk, butter and egg together in a bowl and gradually add the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the chopped corn and chipolte pepper. The batter should have the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add a tbs of water to thin batter if necessary. Set aside.
- Add the ingredients for the avocado sauce to a food processor and puree until smooth. season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a lightly greased frying pan over medium heat.
- Spoon 2 tbs of the corn cake batter into the pan, forming 2 inch cakes. Cook all batter in batches. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Keep the cakes warm until ready to serve.
- To assemble place a heaped tbs of avocado sauce on the warm corn cake and place 1 cooked shrimp on top.
- Garnish each with a cilantro leaf.