Country Style Black Eyed Peas
- 1 lb dried black eye peas, soaked for 8 hours or over night
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 carrot minced
- 3 tsp thyme
- 1 quart chicken stock
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- Soak peas in cold water for 8 hours, then drain and rinse.
- In a large sauce pan add the ham hocks and cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for at least 5 hours, longer if desired. Add more water as necessary.
- Mean while add the drained pans to a large sauce pan or stock pot cover with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook for one hour then add 1 cup of the reserved hock stock and 1 cup of the chicken stock.
- Once ham hocks are done remove then from the pan and allow to cool. Reserve the stock.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot to the peas along with the thyme.
- Make sure peas are covered at all times with the hock and chicken stock.
- Once the hocks have cooled slightly remove the lean meat from fat and bones. Add the to peas.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for another hour using low heat. Add more stock if necessary.