Deep Fried New Potatoes with Saffron Aioli
|20 baby or new potatoes|
|canola oil for deep frying|
|kosher salt and ground black pepper|
|1 egg yolk|
|1/2 tsp Dijon mustard|
|1 and 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|1/2 tsp saffron threads|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- To make the aioli put the egg yolk in a bowl with Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt.
- Stir to mix together well. Using a whisk, beat the olive oil very gradually, drop by drop at first and then in a very thin stream.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Season the mayonnaise with salt and pepper to taste., then add the crushed garlic and beat the mixture to thoroughly to combine.
- Place the saffron in a small bowl and add 2 tsp of hot water.
- Press the saffron with the back of a spoon to extract the color and flavor then let steep for 5 minutes.
- Beat the saffron and the soaking liquid into the aioli.
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in a large pan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes well, then dry them thoroughly in a clean dish towel.
- Heat a 1/2 deep lay of oil in a deep pan. when oil is hot add the potatoes and cook quickly, turning constantly, until crisp and golden all over.
- Transfer to a platter and serve with the saffron aioli.