Indian Curried Cauliflower Fritters
- 1 lb of fresh cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Besan flour (chick pea flour available at Asian markets)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- oil for deep frying
- kosher and fresh crack black pepper to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets.
- Sift the flour and spices into a bowl, then stir in 1 tsp salt and make a well in the center.
- Combine 1/4 cup of water with the egg and egg yolk then gradually pour into the well, whisking to make a smooth lump free batter. Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Fill a deep heavy based sauce pan or deep fryer, one third full of oil and heat to 350.
- Holding the florets by the stem, dip them into the batter, letting the excess drain.
- Deep fry in batches for 3-4 minutes or until puffed and brown.
- Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.