Indian Curried Cauliflower Fritters
|1 lb of fresh cauliflower|
|1/2 cup Besan flour (chick pea flour available at Asian markets)|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|2 tsp ground coriander|
|2 tsp ground turmeric|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|1 egg yolk|
|oil for deep frying|
|kosher and fresh crack black pepper to taste|
- Cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets.
- Sift the flour and spices into a bowl, then stir in 1 tsp salt and make a well in the center.
- Combine 1/4 cup of water with the egg and egg yolk then gradually pour into the well, whisking to make a smooth lump free batter. Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Fill a deep heavy based sauce pan or deep fryer, one third full of oil and heat to 350.
- Holding the florets by the stem, dip them into the batter, letting the excess drain.
- Deep fry in batches for 3-4 minutes or until puffed and brown.
- Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.