Scallops Wrapped in Prosciutto
|24 sea scallops, washed and dried|
|8-12 prosciutto slices, cut lengthwise into strips|
|olive oil for brushing|
|ground black pepper|
|lemon wedges for serving|
- Prepare a barbecue grill or preheat the broiler in advance.
- Sprinkle the scallops with lemon juice.
- Wrap a strip of prosciutto around each scallop.
- Thread them onto eight metal or wooden skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to using.
- Brush the wrapped scallops with olive oil.
- Arrange the skewers on a baking sheet if you are going to broil them or place directly over coals if you are going to barbecue them.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the scallops. Scallops should just turn opaque. Do not over cook.
- Set two skewers on each of 4 plates and sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper and serve with lemon wedges.
- Alternatively you may cook the skewers under a hot broiler, turning several times until cooked through.