|2 tbs golden raisins|
|1/2 tsp olive oil|
|1 lb fresh spinach, washed, dried and chopped|
|6 drained canned anchovies|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2/3 cup pine nuts chopped|
|1 egg, beaten|
|2 sheets frozen puff pastry|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- To make the filling, soak the raisins in a little warm water for 10 minutes. Drain then chop coarsely.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan or wok. Add the spinach, stir then cover and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook until any liquid has evaporated.
- Add the anchovies, garlic and seasonings and cook, stirring for another 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, add the raisins and pine nuts and let cool.
- Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, stamp out 20 rounds from the thawed puff pastry.
- Place about 2 tsp of the filling in the middle of each round, then brush the edges with a little water.
- Bring up the sides of the pastry and press together gently to seal. Crimp edges with a fork.
- Brush the empanadas with a little beaten egg, then place then of a lightly greased foil baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.