French Onion Soup
|6 large red onions, thinly sliced|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|6 cups beef broth|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1/4 cup dry sherry|
|1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, diced|
|6 slices French baguette, toasted|
|1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded|
|1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded|
- Cook onions in the olive and butter over low heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally. About 30 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and turn the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the sherry and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour the sour into 6 oven proof soup bowls.
- Distribute the diced Gruyere cheese evenly into each of the soup bowls.
- Top with the French bread.
- Sprinkle the Swiss and Parmesan on the bread.
- Place the soup bowls on a baking tray and place in the oven until the cheese melts. About 5-8 minutes.