French Pastry Cream
|3 egg yolks|
|1/4 cup granulate sugar|
|1 tsp confectioners sugar|
|1 cup flour|
|1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into chunks|
|1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract|
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar, blend well with a whisk.
- Whisk in the flour and whisk until the flour is well incorporated.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the milk to a boil, over medium heat.
- Pour a little of the milk into the egg mixture and whisk, then pour the new mixture back into the sauce pan and let it come to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce the heat and whisk until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and blend in the butter until it melts, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until firm.
- You may use the pastry cream as a topping or filling. Goes great with strawberries.