Mexican Green Chilie Stew
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut int 1/4 x 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb of fresh green cubanel or Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dry pinto beans, washed, soaked overnight, drained, washed again, then cooked in 4 cups of chicken stock until tender.
This is a stick to your ribs dish that is a favorite in Mexico.
- Roast the chilies on all sides over a gas range, broiler or over charcoal.
- Once the skin blisters on all sides (it should be almost black) add the chilies to a zip lock bag and seal for 10-15 minutes. This will help you to easily remove the skins.
- Remove the skins, slit open the chilies and remove the membrane and seeds. Do not rinse.
- Chop the chilies and reserve.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil and fry the chopped onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and potatoes and fry for 7-8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add all of the ingredients to the pinto beans and simmer uncovered for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortillas.