Indian Masala Dosai
|1/2 cup blackgram dal|
|1 cup Basmati rice|
|2 tbs lime juice|
|2 cups water|
|3 medium potatoes|
|1/8 tsp oil|
|1 tsp mustard seeds|
|1 tsp yellow split peas|
|1 tsp blackgarm dal (available at Indian or Asian grocery stores)|
|3 medium onions|
|1/2 cup water|
|2 clove garlic|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 tsp coriander|
|1/2 tsp fresh ginger|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 cup pre-cooked chickpeas|
|4 tsp lemon juice|
|Cilantro for garnish|
This is a Indian like crepe stuffed with a spicy potato masala filling.
- Soak blackgram dal and fenugreek together and rice separately for at least 6 hours.
- Using a blender, with less that 1/3 cup of water, blend rice first and keep it separate.
- Next with less than 1/3 cup of water, blend the blackgram dal and fenugreek together.
- combine the two mixtures. The batter should not be too thick or too thin.
- If you take the batter and pour it out of a spoon, the flow from the spoon should be even.
- Keep the batter in a big pot for at least 12 hours until it ferments and tastes a bit sour.
- If you do not get a sour flavor, add juice.
- Heat a non- stick pan until it becomes medium hot and wipe the pan with a little oil. When the pan becomes hot, take a small scoop of batter and pour it in. Spread it around and make a small circle of batter.
- Flip it over to the other side when one side has firmed up, then when air bubbles begin to appear.
- Reduce the heat to medium before you cook the next one.
- To make the masala peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes, and add them to cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender.
- Add some oil to a saute pan and fry the mustard seeds, yellow split peas and blackgram dal and set them aside
- Next saute the onions in a little water with chopped garlic and tomato.
- Add turmeric, cayenne pepper, coriander, black pepper, ginger and onion.
- Add the chickpeas and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cooked potatoes.
- Add the fried mustard seeds, yellow split peas and blackgram dal to the potatoes.
- Mix the thoroughly. Add lemon juice and garnish the masala with fresh cilantro.
- Put a little masala in the middle of each dosai and roll up to serve.