Jamaican Pumpkin and Oyster Soup
|1 and 1/2 lbs Indian pumpkin (calabaza)|
|6 cups chicken stock|
|kosher and fresh ground black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup dry sherry|
|1 pint of shelled oysters and their liquor|
|1 cup heavy cream|
- Peel the pumpkin, remove any seeds and strings, and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Put into a large sauce pan with the stock.
- Cover and simmer gently, stirring with a wooden spoon from time to time, or until the pumpkin has disintegrated. About 45 minutes.
- The texture of this soup should be nice and lumpy. If the pumpkin lumps are too large, mash them with the spoon against the sides of the sauce pan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the sherry, oysters and the cream. Cook long enough for the edges of the oysters to curl and to heat the soup.