Leeks Au Gratin
- 8 leeks, tops and bottoms trimmed, split lengthwise and cleaned, cut into 3 inch pieces.
- garlic salt
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs flour
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup half and half
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- unseasoned bread crumbs, for topping
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 4 tsp cognac or brandy
- Simmer leeks in lightly salted water until they’re tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the leeks in a buttered 2 quart casserole, lightly sprinkled with garlic salt.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the bread crumbs in the butter and oil, then stir the flour into the bread crumb mixture.
- Whisk in the half and half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover over medium heat for 3-4 minutes to reduce, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the sauce over the leeks.
- Dust the top with the additional bread crumbs and cheese.
- Add the brandy.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.