Mexican Lime Soup
|1 (3lb) chicken, cut up|
|2 and 1/2 quarts water|
|6 sprigs parsley|
|1 rib celery, chopped|
|1 medium onion, quartered|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tsp fresh thyme|
|2 and 1/2 tbs canola oil|
|2 small onions, chopped|
|1/2 green pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1/2 red pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 tbs chipolte puree|
|2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped|
|4 carrots, peeled and chopped|
|2 limes, halved|
|3 tbs fresh parsley, minced|
|4 dozen tortilla chips|
|8 lime slices for garnish|
- In a dutch oven, combine the chicken, water, parsley sprigs, peppercorns, celery, onion, salt and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is tender. About 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Occasionally skim the fat off the top.
- Remove the chicken and cool, then cut the meat from the bones.
- Strain the broth and reserve. If desired, you may place the broth in the refrigerator for several hours, which will congeal the fat to the top of the broth. Remove with a slotted spoon .
- Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a dutch oven and saute the onions and bell peppers, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes and carrots and continue to cook, uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved broth and squeeze in the lime juice, then add the lime halves to the soup.
- Stir in the chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper them simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add the chicken meat and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Arrange 6 tortilla chips in the bottom of each of 8 soup bowls and pour in the soup, making sure the chicken is distributed evenly.
- Garnish the top of each with a thin slice of lime.