Puerto Rican Sopa de Gandules
- 1 lb green pigeon peas, fresh or canned
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb west Indian pumpkin (calabaza) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup sofrito (use search engine)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
This is a version of Green Pigeon Pea Soup.
- Combine the pigeon peas, stock, pumpkin and sofrito in a large sauce pan.
- Cover and simmer gently util the pigeon peas are tender and the pumpkin has disintegrated and thickened the soup. About 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.