Spinach Mushroom and Cheese Egg Rolls
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, cleaned, stems removed
- 8 frozen egg roll wrapers, thawed
- 1/2 lb of feta cheese, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Oil for deep frying
This recipe was inspired by our good friend and wonderful cook Marilyn Lewis-Taylor. It reinterprets a classic spinach dish.
- Wash and dry the spinach. Remove the stems.
- In a large saute pan or wok using medium heat add the olive oil, then add the shallot and garlic. Saute for about 1 minute. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add the soy sauce and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and reserve the spinach in a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms to the same pan with a little more oil if necessary and saute them for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from pan and add to the spinach. Gently mix well.
- Place the thawed egg roll wrappers on a work service and evenly divide the spinach mixture among them.
- Sprinkle the grated feta cheese equally on each egg roll.
- Brush the edges of the egg rolls with water, then tightly roll up the rolls, tucking the edges in as you go. Make sure you have a tight seal.
- Meanwhile in a large sauce pan or deep fryer fill with oil 1/3 full and heat to 360 degrees.
- Fry the egg rolls until golden and crispy. 3-4 minutes.