|1 tbs unsalted butter|
|4 ozs shallots, minced|
|2 cloves garlic|
|2 and 1/2 fresh asparagus, tough ends removed|
|1/4 lb red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|3 cups chicken broth|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
|several leaves of fresh basil, torn|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Add shallots and crushed garlic and saute over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not allow the garlic and shallots to brown.
- While the shallots are cooking, cut the asparagus into 3/4 inch pieces, reserving the tips for garnish.
- Add the potatoes to the sauce pan and cook for 6 minutes longer until the asparagus are bright in color.
- Add the wine and reduce, then add the chicken stock, reduce heat and cook until the mixture has slightly reduced and the vegetables are soft.
- Add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the basil, salt and pepper and cream and blend again.
- While soup is cooking bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the asparagus a cook for several minutes and cook just until tender and bright green.
- Drain and plunge in ice water.
- Serve the soup garnished with asparagus tips.