- Charcoal is ready when mostly grey colored or it at night is glowing red.
- A good rule of tumb: The large the piece of meat is, the greater distance from the coals.
- Use a chimney to light your coals. Lighter fluid affects flavor.
- For a wonderful smokey flavor try wood chips soaked in Jack Daniels or Dark rum.
- Always make sure your grill is clean before you begin and after your finished
- Use different plates or clean the plate you used for the uncooked meat before plating the cooked meat.
- Vegetable cook spray or cooking oil prevents sticking on the grate. Use olive oil for seafood.
- A great alternative to marinades is a dry rub. Experiment with your own special mixtures.