Caribbean Crabs in Pepper Sauce
|1 lb lump crab meat|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|1 large onion, minced|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|4 hot green chili peppers, seeded and chopped|
|4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|3 tbs tomato puree|
|kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/4 tsp sugar|
|1 tbs lime juice|
|1/2 cup dry sherry|
|2 tbs chopped parsley|
- Pick over the crab meat and remove any cartilage. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and peppers until the onion is tender but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, pepper and sugar and cook until well blended and quite thick. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and sherry, then add the crab meat, gently stir, cover and simmer until the crab meat is heated through. About 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to over cook as the crab meat will shred.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over white rice.