Caribbean Crabs in Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 hot green chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbs tomato puree
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- Pick over the crab meat and remove any cartilage. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and peppers until the onion is tender but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, pepper and sugar and cook until well blended and quite thick. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and sherry, then add the crab meat, gently stir, cover and simmer until the crab meat is heated through. About 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to over cook as the crab meat will shred.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over white rice.