Caribbean Rum Cake
- 8 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3 tbs lime juice
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the rum, lime juice and grated rind.
- Sift the flour, corn meal and baking powder together and beat 1/2 cup at a time into the egg and butter mixture.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 8 inch round cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm pour 2 tbs of dark rum over the cake.
- Let the cake cook completely before removing it from the pan.
- Note: if desired you may sprinkle 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate bits over the cake and place it under a broiler for 1-2 minutes to melt and or sprinkle it with confectioners sugar when you remove it from the broiler.