Caribbean Shrimp Curry
|1 and 1/2 tsp coriander seeds|
|1 and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds|
|1 and 1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds|
|1 and 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns|
|1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced|
|3 tbs vegetable oil|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 large onions, minced|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 tbs fresh ginger, minced|
|2 cups drained whole tomatoes|
|2 tbs lime juice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
- In a mortar or spice grinder pulverize the coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and saute the onion until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger and the ground spices and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes, lime juice and hot pepper.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add a little water or stock.
- Add the shrimp and cook, covered for 5 minutes or until shrimp are firm and pink. Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Serve with white rice and mango chutney.