Cherry Honey Cobbler
- 2 lb fresh cherries, pitted
- 3 tbs butter, divided
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Shortcake Pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup light cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place cherries in a 8 inch baking dish.
- Combine 2 tbs butter, honey, cornstarch, lemon peel and cinnamon in a small sauce pan.
- Stir over low heat until smooth.
- Pour over the cherries.
- Dot with remaining butter.
- To prepare the pastry combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg and cream and mix just until moistened.
- Place the pastry over the fruit in dabs making sure to leave room so that steam can escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream and whipped cream.