Cherry Honey Cobbler
|2 lb fresh cherries, pitted|
|3 tbs butter, divided|
|3/4 cup honey|
|2 tsp cornstarch|
|1 tsp grated lemon peel|
|1/2 tsp ground cinnamon|
|vanilla ice cream or whipped cream|
|2 cups flour|
|3 tbs sugar|
|1 tbs baking powder|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 cup butter|
|1 egg lightly beaten|
|2/3 cup light cream|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place cherries in a 8 inch baking dish.
- Combine 2 tbs butter, honey, cornstarch, lemon peel and cinnamon in a small sauce pan.
- Stir over low heat until smooth.
- Pour over the cherries.
- Dot with remaining butter.
- To prepare the pastry combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg and cream and mix just until moistened.
- Place the pastry over the fruit in dabs making sure to leave room so that steam can escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream and whipped cream.