- 2 lbs fresh or frozen Crawfish tails
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small fresh hot pepper, left whole
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbs corn starch or arrowroot
- kosher salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a heavy sauce pan and add the Crawfish tails, shells, onions and garlic.
- Saute for about 2 minutes or until the onions and garlic start to soften.
- Add the hot pepper and water, cover and cook at a gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the Crawfish and add to a food processor along with a little of the cooking stock, and process until smooth, the press through a wire mesh strainer.
- Return the pureed Crawfish to the sauce pan.
- Add the coconut milk and heat through.
- Add the cornstarch or arrowroot along with a little water to the soup and stir until soup starts to thicken. Season with salt.
- Note; if you buy whole Crawfish once you remove the tails, simmer the shells in water to form a stock to replace the water in the recipe. This will give you a richer stock.