Fried Soft Shell Clams
|1 quart fresh shucked soft shell clams, drained|
|2 cups flour|
|2 cups cornmeal|
|1 cup evaporated milk|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|Oil for deep frying|
- Drain the clams and reserve the liquor for another use.
- Soak the clams in evaporated milk.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a large saucepan or deep fryer 1/2 full with oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Dredge the clams in the flour/cornmeal mixture the add them to a wire mesh strainer and shake off the excess.
- Add the clams in batches to the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes or until the clams are golden and slightly crispy. Do not over cook.
- Serve with cocktail sauce and or tartar sauce for dipping.