- 1 lb fish fillets
- 12 fresh sardines
- 8 jumbo shrimp, peeled, tails on
- 8 large sea scallops
- 1 lb calamari, cut into rings
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 gherkin pickle, chopped
- 1 tsp capers, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 small onion, grated
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 tbs oil
- For the tartar sauce, combine all the ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
- To make the batter, sift the flour and corn meal along with a little salt and pepper into a large bowl.
- Make a well it the center.
- combine the oil and 1 cup of water and gradually whisk into the flour, until a smooth batter is formed.
- Cut the fish fillets into 2 inch strips.
- To prepare the sardines, remove the heads and split them open down the belly, then clean with salted water. Ease the backbone out with you fingers and cut the backbone at the tail end with sharp scissors.
- Dry the prepared seafood on paper towels, then coat in the flour mixture, place in a wire mesh strainer and shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan to 360 degrees.
- Coat a few pieces of seafood at a time with batter, let excess drip off and gently lower into the hot oil.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Makes about 50 pieces.