Grilled Nopales with Salsa
|1 lb of Nopales paddles, cleaned|
|6-8 butter lettuce cups|
|1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1 medium red onion, chopped|
|3 tbs fresh cilantro|
|1 Serrano or jalapeno pepper, chopped|
|1/4 cup fresh lime juice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
Nopales are prickly pear cactus paddles. This recipe grills the Nopales over charcoal then serves them with salsa in lettuce cups.
- Clean the Nopales and remove any thorns.
- Place the Nopales on a grill and cook over hot charcoal. About 5 minutes per side, turning several times until tender.
- Remove the Nopales from the charcoal and allow cool.
- Meanwhile peel and seed the tomato and chop. Add to a bowl.
- Add the red onion, hot pepper cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cut the Nopales into thin strips, then in half.
- Add the cut Nopales to the lettuce cups and top each with 1 or 2 tbs of the fresh salsa.