Grilled Nopales with Salsa
- 1 lb of Nopales paddles, cleaned
- 6-8 butter lettuce cups
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 tbs fresh cilantro
- 1 Serrano or jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Nopales are prickly pear cactus paddles. This recipe grills the Nopales over charcoal then serves them with salsa in lettuce cups.
- Clean the Nopales and remove any thorns.
- Place the Nopales on a grill and cook over hot charcoal. About 5 minutes per side, turning several times until tender.
- Remove the Nopales from the charcoal and allow cool.
- Meanwhile peel and seed the tomato and chop. Add to a bowl.
- Add the red onion, hot pepper cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cut the Nopales into thin strips, then in half.
- Add the cut Nopales to the lettuce cups and top each with 1 or 2 tbs of the fresh salsa.