Home Style Minestrone Soup
|1/8 lb salt pork, partially frozen|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|2 cloves garlic, peeled|
|1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped|
|2 ribs celery|
|1 small turnip|
|1 lb tomatoes|
|1/4 small head cabbage|
|1 small zucchini|
|2 tsp basil|
|1 (6oz) can tomato paste|
|7 cups water|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|3/4 cup small pasta shells|
|1 (16oz) can white beans, drained|
|dash of red pepper flakes|
|1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated|
- Chop the salt pork, garlic, onions and parsley and add to a large pot along with the olive oil. Saute lightly until tender, but not browned.
- coarsely chop the potatoes, turnip and tomatoes and add to the pot.
- Thinly slice the carrots and zucchini and add to the pot along with the basil, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Add the red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add pasta and beans and cook for 30 minutes longer.
- Serve the soup topped with fresh Parmesan.