Jamaican Ackee Soup
|1 lb of canned Ackees|
|1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped|
|1/4 cup shallots, chopped|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|Hot pepper sauce to taste|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
|fresh parsley for garnish, chopped|
|Fresh chives for garnish, chopped|
- Put the ackees together with the liquid from the can into a sauce pan with the chicken stock, tomatoes shallots, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently until the shallots are tender.
- Puree in an electric blender or food processor and return to the sauce pan.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, then stir in the cream and heat through.
- The soup can also be served chilled.
- Garnish with parsley and chives.