Jamaican Ackee Soup
- 1 lb of canned Ackees
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh parsley for garnish, chopped
- Fresh chives for garnish, chopped
- Put the ackees together with the liquid from the can into a sauce pan with the chicken stock, tomatoes shallots, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently until the shallots are tender.
- Puree in an electric blender or food processor and return to the sauce pan.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, then stir in the cream and heat through.
- The soup can also be served chilled.
- Garnish with parsley and chives.